Dentist in Peoria & Moline IL offers the dental care your teeth deserve
The teeth are called pearly whites since they are supposed to be opaque and not translucent. Aside from affecting the smile of a person, translucent teeth may be a sign of more serious issues. When teeth become translucent, it means the enamel of the teeth is starting to wear down.
Reasons for translucent teeth
There are two main reasons why teeth become translucent.
- The enamel is supposed to be the hardest tissue in the body. It also contains a good amount of minerals. But it may deteriorate due to enamel hypoplasia, celiac disease, or other health conditions.
- Enamel hypoplasia is a condition where the development of the teeth is affected due to the issues in the enamel matrix formation. It may also be hereditary or caused by an infection or disease.
- Celiac disease causes a poor development of the enamel. People with this condition, have portions of translucent teeth. Other symptoms of this disease are dry mouth, atrophic glossitis, or recurring canker sores.
- Other health conditions that may cause the enamel to deteriorate include acid reflux, bulimia, and morning sickness. These health conditions produce acids that can erode the enamel of the teeth.
Too much acidic food in the diet
Studies have shown that teeth have fewer cavities and dental decay when the mouth has a high pH level. But when the pH level goes down, the enamel starts to lose minerals. A diet containing too much acidic food can cause the teeth to erode and result in translucent teeth. Due to this, it is advisable to reduce the consumption of food items with high acid levels.
Treatment of translucent teeth
Treating translucent teeth may require dental bonding or the use of dental crowns or veneers.
● Dental bonding colors the translucent areas to allow them to match the other healthy parts of the teeth.
● Dental crowns or veneers can also be used to totally cover the areas of the teeth that have become translucent.
The teeth can be considered the windows to the health of a person. Due to this, it is important to take care of them and ensure they remain healthy.